Friday, March 7, 2008

Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume



Starring Sally J. Freedman as Herself by Judy Blume
298 pages
Finished 3/2/08











I'm always on the hunt at the used bookstores for books that I loved as a kid, so one of the authors I always look for is Judy Blume. Ah, memories. I found this book while I was on my book excursion in EC a couple weeks ago (I don't think I told you about it - it was fabulous. Maybe later today). I hadn't read it before, so I picked it up.

The book is set post WW2, in 1947. Sally moves to Miami Beach with her mother and brother, while their father stays in (New Jersey? I'm already forgetting the book) to keep up with his dental practice.

I went back and forth in this book - in some ways, Sally reminded me of myself when I was younger. She does a lot of daydreaming and is constantly making up stories in her mind. In other ways, Sally seems so young for her age. There were a couple of moments in the book where I thought to myself, "Really? A fifth grader acts like that?" I did have to keep reminding myself that the book was set over 60 years ago (wow!) - of course children weren't as worldly then as they are today, simply because of television, Internet, etc.

Three stars.

No comments: