Friday, September 28, 2007

Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood

I have been reading a lot of Margaret Atwood novels lately, and have found that they are hit or miss - I either LOVED them (The Handmaid's Tale, Oryx and Crake), or I HATED them (The Edible Woman). Luckily, this one falls into the former.


Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
460 pages
Finished 9/27/07





Another great book from Margaret Atwood. I was a little confused at the beginning of the book, because I didn't know what it was about. A quick search of the Internet and I found that this is her spin on a true story of a murder in the 1800s. The beginning was a little slow, and I was a huge fan of the Dr. Jordan sub-storyline, but once it got to Grace telling her life story, I thought it was great. Very well written.

I also liked Atwood's interpretation of what happened to Grace after she was eventually released from prison. I find it fascinating that she disappeared as she did - she was essentially released from prison and there is no record of her since. It's a bit of food for thought - sure, that was possible in the 1870's, but now days? That could never happen. The Internet is a magical place.

I gave it four stars.

No comments: