Thursday, September 27, 2007

Sept. 17 - 22

Whew, with these four books I am all caught up with the month of September.


The Book of Fred, by Abby Bardi
292 pages
Finished 9/17/07










I liked this book a lot. The characters were likable without being completely unrealistic, the book was well written (I especially liked that some of the narrative was written like a person would talk), and the book wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. It was a nice story, and a great $1 find.

I gave it four stars.



The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
235 pages
Finished 9/18/07










This was a fun, quirky little read. It is a very fast read. I was a little annoyed by the writing style (the jumping stories bothered me), but overall it was cute, and I liked the main character. I don't think I'll go out of my way to read the other books in the series, but if I see them at the local bookstore in the dollar bin, I'd definitely pick them up.

I gave it three stars.



Letters for Emily by Camron Wright
214 pages
Finished 9/18/07










I started out the first few chapters really liking the book (the storyline of the Grandpa with Alzheimer's was touching), until we actually got to the "letters for Emily." Then the book quickly turned into a James Patterson book - it was so much like Sam's Letters to Jennifer/Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas I wanted to gag. Way to cheesy and unrealistic for my liking. The ending was pretty out there, too. Blah.

I gave it one and a half stars.


From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koontz
729 pages
Finished 9/22/07






I've read most of Dean Koontz's books, so I was excited to read this one, especially since I hadn't read one in awhile. It only let me down in one aspect - the summary written on the back of the book. I understand what they were going for, but I think it gave up WAY too much of the story. It wasn't until 3/4 of the way through the book that some of the things mentioned started to happen, and that was a bit of a bummer. Otherwise, I really liked it.

I gave it four stars.

No comments: